June 28th, 2013
Your garage door can be unsafe at the moment but you can do something to make it a much safer structure in your home. A simple reinforcement to your garage door can really help improve the security and the safety that your garage door provides. Do these simple steps and have some peace of mind knowing that your garage door is reinforced for safety.
1. Buy and install a new door.
If you want a safe and secure garage door, buy and install a new door. New garage doors will not need reinforcements as it is in top condition. If your garage door has been with you for a very long time, perhaps, you should consider parting with it to ensure the safety of your family and your vehicle. Old doors, faulty doors, damaged doors must be replaced as soon as possible to prevent accidents.
2. Reinforce the garage door by putting braces on the frame.
If buying a new door is not an option, your next best option is to reinforce your garage door. Especially if you live in areas that are prone to earthquakes, typhoons, and other natural disasters, you may want to add braces to the frame of your garage door. This will add strength to the door frame. Remember to check the door frame itself. If the frame is not secure, then the braces will be useless so make certain that the frame that will be braced is also sturdy. Vertical and horizontal braces made of steel can be used.
3. Make use of triangles.
Support your garage door with triangles made of plywood or steel. Triangles have been used in many structures due to its strength.
Your garage door must be kept in the best condition possible. Call the professional garage door services anytime and ask them to inspect your garage door system for you. They can also offer other advice on how to take care of your garage door.
June 21st, 2013
To avoid extra costs in your home and to be able to save money, you can do your own little things to keep your garage door running smoothly. One of the simple things that you can do to your garage door without endangering your safety is to lubricate your garage door. Here is a guideline for doing the task safely and effectively.
- Take precautions before starting with the task. For instance, never manually handle or touch anything in your garage door without turning off the power switch off first. You can get serious injuries and have an accident without doing this little precaution.
- Always consider your safety and never take risks when handling your automated garage door parts.
- Prepare all the things you will need for lubricating the garage door such as the oil, rags, and other materials.
- Make sure that you clean the parts first before putting in the lubrication. You can do this by using some brushes to dust of the dirt and fibers that may have become lodged in the parts of your automated garage door. Next, you can wipe the parts with soapy water and make sure to let it dry first before lubricating.
- Lubricate the parts that need lubrication. Be careful that you do not put oil on the parts that need to be dry and not slippery. So it would also be helpful to know beforehand what parts will need the lubrication such as the springs, rollers, tracks, etc. But to be safe, you can contact your garage door distributor or the store where you bought it and ask if it is safe to apply lubrication to these parts of the garage door.
- Finally, you can always call and ask for professional help. They can help you to lubricate your garage door and you can learn from them so that you can do this by yourself the next time.
June 14th, 2013
Among the parts of the garage door, the panels are the ones that often get damaged first. It can be the thrashing that it takes from the daily opening and closing of the garage door or it can be due to another reason. But whatever the reason for damages in your garage door panels, you will need to replace them. When you inspect the panels in your garage door, you may notice that not all of the panels can be damaged. It can be just a couple or more and in that case, you can economize by replacing only these parts and not all of the panels in your garage door. But it is really up to you since replacing only the damaged ones will entail more work such as repainting the whole set and if you are a very busy person, that task can be worst than paying a little more to have all of the panels replaced. Nevertheless, there are ways to maintain your garage door panels without spending too much money.
Did you know that your garage door has a one year warranty and that all parts of your garage door are covered? In some cases, the garage door manufacturers give separate warranty for special parts of the garage door. So check your garage door warranty and find out if you can have your panels replaced by the manufacturers for free or for a discounted amount.
Another helpful piece of information to know about garage door panels is the fact that they are exclusively made by the manufacturers, especially the old models of garage doors. Newer garage doors have available parts that can be bought anywhere but the old model garage door parts will need to be ordered from the company that made the door.
Finally, it seems too much trouble to do all this and you can just do a DIY garage door panel replacement by yourself. It will save you the time and money too.